In an effort to support the creation and interpretation of contemporary music, Musinfo association organizes a residency for composers and soloists who wish to transcend the sound boundaries of their instrument with the Sampo.
Intended for performers of any instrument, the Sampo is an extension whose purpose is to widen the sound field of an acoustic instrument. It allows to deepen the musical expression in any place and in complete autonomy.
The purpose of the residency is to make a video recording of the works written by the composers who won the 2022 Composition Contest for Acoustic Instrument and Sampo. The recordings will be published online as a virtual concert. The concert program will include the creations as well as repertoire pieces chosen by the performer in collaboration with Musinfo. The concert will be fully performed with a Sampo.
Working with the Sampo does not require any previous experience in the field of electroacoustic or mixed music.
There will be two steps for the preparation for the concert:
1. First, a few months before the residency, a Sampo will be provided to the performer so that they can prepare the pieces in the best possible conditions during the composition phase of the work. Sampo allows the networking and exchange of configurations sent by the composer and received on Sampo by WiFi.
2. Second, in order to allow a real exchange and improvement of the piece in a stimulating context, three performers and three composers will be hosted in Saint-Étienne from 6 to 10 July 2022 inclusive, during the Art & Sampo Days (former Art & Science Days). On this occasion, in addition to networking with the other composers and performers of the residency, residents will be able to interact with the public and with the trainees of the Sampo Academy which takes place at the same time as the residency, as well as attend the festival's various concerts and events. They will also be invited to share their experience during the Sampo Academy.
- Deadline for sending applications: 23 January 2022.
- The application files must include the following:
- at least 2 audio or video recordings (with or without electronics), accompanied by their description
- photo for publication on the Musinfo website
- a cover letter explaining the reasons for your participation in the residency and your interest in discovering Sampo.
- Candidate profile: The residency is open to performers of all ages and backgrounds. This residency is intended for solo performers.
- The selection of residents will be based on the cover letter and the recordings provided.
- Musinfo will provide:
- a Sampo for the preparation of the concert
- initial training and support throughout the duration of the loan
- transcription of the selected repertoire works for the Sampo
- the cost of meals and accommodation during the residency. Travel expenses shall be covered by the residents
- recording and editing of the videos
- communication in relation to the event
- Residency dates: 6 to 10 July 2022